Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Pomegranate Martini

This sounds stupid, I admit, but I'm trying to develop a good "up" drink with pomegranate liqueur. I've always been a fan of the sweet/tart taste of pomegranates. The Parma liqueur is a little candy-ish, but I am convinced in the right proportions with the right mixers, it could be sublime.

A simple pomegranate tom collins (or parma fizz) is an easy make:

lemon juice
simple syrup (light)
club soda
parma
gin

However, I went for the following martini fizz:

1 oz. Ethereal Gin
1 oz. Parma
1/4 lemon
splash Fee Brothers lemon bitters
club soda

I like it. The lemon bitters give it distinct nose, and the botanical gin gives it lots of flavor. Jan hates the club soda in it, making me wonder if I don't have something here with a different mix. Next time try:

2 oz. ethereal gin
1 oz. parma
lemon twist
lemon bitters

My fear with this drink is that it will taste flat. but I must admit, there is something overly done about the Parma Fizz above. Either the bitters are too much, or Jan is right and the club soda is a mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment