Sunday, November 20, 2011

Guinness braised short ribs

Ingredients:
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
6 short ribs (2.18 pounds)
2 pints Guinness
1 cup beef broth
2 carrots
Italian parsley

Finely chop onion and shallot and set aside. Preheat oven to 325.

Generously salt and pepper the short ribs. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a dutch oven until shimmering. Brown the beef ribs. Most recipes say to flip only once, but I did it twice, to get three sides of the beef browned. It took a total of about six minutes, and would likely have been longer if using more ribs.

I then turned the heat off of the Dutch Oven and removed the beef ribs to a plate. I let the oil cool down for about five minutes while I deglazed the dutch oven with a wooden spoon. Then I dropped in the onions and shallots and stirred vigorously to soak up the oil and fat. They softened in about three minutes, and did not burn. I then added the guinness and the beef broth, and dropped the ribs back in. After bringing the broth to a boil, I dropped it in the oven. They sit in the oven for one and a half hours before any vegetables that one would like go into the broth. It cooks for another half an hour more after that.

The base of this recipe could easily take six more short ribs (four pounds worth). I don't know if changing the amount of beef would change the cooking temperature or anything of the like, but I doubt it. The beef ribs were almost completely submerged in the dutch oven, making me wonder if I could have gotten away with about half the amount of braising liquid. We shall see.

The ratio is my own. Most recipes invert the ratio, making it 2:1 beef broth to beer. But I want this to be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment