Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Rows Beautiful

Alright, lame title. I was looking to play on the architectural term of beautification, and came up with the City Beautiful--since this is the base of my rows, then, well you get the idea.

I've been wanting to add an aesthetic cap to the plain rows for some time. Given the angular nature of the yard, I desired a rounded shape. I initially wanted to plant a concave circle. It may end up this way by the end, but for right now it bulges outward. I planted three hearty perennials: two species of guara (white fountain and pink fountain) and cotoneaster dammeri, a groundcover.

More on Guara in an update. In the mean time, notice the way the front has really come along. I have out of control begonias in the planters, giving a nice pink flowering on the steps; a plot of golden pineapple and purple sage, Jethro Tull and wildflowers and French thyme. The Guara and Cotoneaster will fill out the lower area.


before
after

No comments:

Post a Comment