Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Midweek Sours and Midnight Manhattans

It's been a hell of a January, but I suppose it always is. After three nights of teaching/board meetings until nine (or later), we were both ready for a break. Unfortunately, the only vacation we can take is in the living room.

They are not to be underestimated. The amaretto sour is winter's sweet treat, made possible by widely available citrus. Although I have yet to commit to the Meyer lemons (I'm waiting for this), I have made enough sours to come to the following observations.

basic formula:
1 part amaretto
1 part orange juice
1 part lemon juice

Important to adjust based on acidity of lemons. I have found on multiple occasions that fall lemons are more acidic and need a splash of extra amaretto, and orange juice.

Broke down last night and used the bottled orange juice. Primary problem is that pasteurized orange juice simply lacks the sweetness and brightness of freshly squeezed orange juice. The resulting sour tastes flat by comparison.

The Manhattan:

I am enjoying using Lillet to make Manhattans, but I suffer right now from not having a good reserve bourbon. I experimented with proportions, and found that little mattered--the drink is sweet enough with the Lillet, but lacks the real flavor imparted by truly refined whiskey.

Nonetheless, a nice cocktail hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment