Sunday, March 25, 2012

Carolina Style BBQ Sauce Proprietary Blend #142412

So I've made my own sauce. Given that it's the first one, this is not something I expect will work out horribly well. I started with 1 cup of white vinegar, added 2 tsp of coarsely ground black pepper, 2 tbsp of light brown sugar, 2 tsp of crushed red pepper, 1/2 tsp of ghost pepper sauce, 1 tsp of hot sauce and then let it all meld for a day in the fridge. Then, somewhat distressed because it resembled a mopping sauce and the pepper separated (red pepper floated, black pepper sat at the bottom), I put it on the stove and added 2 tbsp of tomato paste, a few dashes of worcestershire sauce, and a little more sugar.

So it cooked down, and now I have my sauce. It is supremely tangy, more so than any other sauce I have ever had. It is also HOT. It has front and back bite and a round depth to it, burning in shelves across the tongue. I would consider it a light drizzler on a fatty and sweet meat.

So, the numbers on my hot sauce are coded this way. The first digit is the number of the sauce. For a vinegar based eastern carolina sauce, I gave it a 1. I suppose that throwing in the tomato paste may have deviated from the eastern style somewhat, but oh well. Perhaps a "true" eastern carolina recipe will get a different number.

The second set of digits is the date of making it, with no zeros attached. So 42412 Is April 24, 2012. Hence, #142412 on this bottle of bbq sauce.

Given that my family will not appreciate Proprietary Blend #1, I will have to either develop one for them or just let them eat commercial. There are good bbq sauces out there for sale, so this can be my little hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment