Sunday, March 11, 2012

Tabouli--spelling or not

Bulgur wheat is one of the healthiest of the whole grains. No chemicals or additives are needed during processing, it is high in dietary fiber, easy on the system, and immensely filling. I've been experimenting with Tabouli recipes for a stock lunch dish--something to keep in the fridge and carry with me during the week. Over the summer, this can be a simple dish to take up extra cukes, tomatoes, and peppers--whatever is around.

So here is the first recipe that I have tried twice now and seem to be getting good results with.

For the wheat: 3 cups of Turkish bulgur wheat covered with 3 cups boiling water, pot covered, and allowed to sit for 10-15 minutes.

Add 1 cup of oil to the bulgur wheat. I prefer to add the oil first, as it loosens up the bulgur. I most often have to drizzle more oil over the salad later.

1 1/2 cups chopped parsley (one bunch of parsley predictably turns out this much chopped)
1 1/2 cups chopped mint
1/2-3/4 of a red onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, seeded, cut into small dice
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
3-4 pinches of kosher salt (to taste)

This is the base salad. I will be adding kalamata olives once I chop them, and feta cheese before serving.

As with the chickpea salad I frequently make, this tastes better after several days. If made up on Sunday, it provides food for nearly a whole week for two. To be frank, the only painful part of this salad is pulling all the parsley off of its stems. By the time one arrives at the tomato part of this dish, it has become tedious enough that the whole project is in danger of abandonment. So this week I made it up on Saturday, and will likely chop up more tomatoes and olives tonight to round out the salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment