Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Double Yield Cucumbers

Dill-icious
We are now at the point where 2-3 cucumbers are coming off our vines daily. I have pruned back the plant to kill any besotted leaves, and just to slow the outward growth. These invasive vines appear to propogate ad inifitum, making me wonder if it would not be better in the future to plant two rather than three of them. Of course, my slow growing cucumber plant may "keep the party going" after these first two plants are spent.

The cucumbers it produces are crisp and fit. They are heavy on seeds, but the seeds are not bitter in the slightest. The skin is thin and a luminous white-green, and also eminently edible. I have taken lately to cutting half a cucumber into thin slices, dropping them at the bottom of a big glass along with some dill, filling it with my homemade club soda, and taking this into the garden in the evening. However odd it might seem to put dill into a spritzer, it is a natural match to the cucumber and sates my desire for savory and spicy concoctions (preferably calorie free ones).

I like this cucumber better than the marketmore variety I planted last year. So this was, at least, one move in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment