Friday, June 22, 2012

garden up!

The flowers on the Barbarella eggplant first bloom ...
... then swallow a grapefruit

Look ma, no suckers!


All in all not bad
Pollinators in a short bed


















Did a few things today worth talking about.

1) I've begun really trimming off the suckers, especially from the bottom of the plant. This helps air circulation (apparently) and more importantly discourages bugs.

2) For what it's worth, the suckers on my Orange Blossom vine grew fruit. But now those low arms are hanging on the ground. And I found ants all over my Orange Blossoms. On one in particular. I knocked them off, but no telling what this means. I propped up both the lower branches to get them off the ground.

3) I planted two more perennials in my mailbox plot, both of which are supposed to fill out the bed and provide more flowers to attract pollinators. In addition, I moved another cutting of golden pineapple sage to the front, making three in all. They really do thrive, and should send up beautiful red flowers in the fall to attract the pollinators.

No comments:

Post a Comment