Sunday, July 22, 2012

fertilized the out-of-control tomato plants

Yesterday I fertilized the tomato plants. There was much rejoicing. I also fertilized the peppers and the eggplant, yada yada yada.

I am not sure what to do with the tomato plants. They have all grown out of control. Top heavy, loaded with big fruit, gnarled and angry in some cases, distressingly tall in others. I've staked them all now, given that they destroyed the cages that I initially placed them in.

I don't know what to do. I want tomatoes to continue through October, but I am at a loss as to how to control these crazy vines. The harvest so far has been brilliant, so may it continue.
This is a huge platter, so imagine these tomatoes as fist to two-fist size...

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. I found this for controlling crazy vines with heavy tomatoes: http://youtu.be/Lzig5K6iSHw - does this look like it might do the trick?

    ReplyDelete