Tuesday, July 31, 2012

the peach and the fugitive

I never knew the peach before arriving in East Point. Of course, I had bought peaches before--sad, shriveled creatures picked well before their prime and aged in corporate grocery distribution centers before being stocked in a well-lit produce section. I liked them in pies well enough, but couldn't really stomach them as fruit. They lacked any tartness, any character, and the sweetness never seemed to make up for its mealy texture and lack of balance.

But then I came here, and I hit a peach orchard. The score was a complete bucket full of Elberta Reds, picked mainly by my little traveler. And the bounty was good. The sweetness of these peaches sat inside a firm and meaty texture. Suddenly I was eating peaches every day. Devouring them whole. Taking them with me to work. Sweating for the next score.

Which brings me to peach syrup. I pick my peaches at Gregg Farms, a quaint orchard in Griffin County. In addition to peaches, blueberries, and corn, patrons can buy peach ice cream, peach jelly, peach preserves, jalepeno-peach jelly, and a variety of pickled goods like chow-chow. And, I discovered on the last trip, peach syrup. It sits in a beautiful tabasco-style bottle and sports a rather cozy looking cinnamon stick.

So, for the summer's last fling, I will need to make a peach cocktail. My default would be a rather boring "rum peach": dark and light rum; peach syrup; lemon juice, garnished with a cinnamon stick. I haven't tried this, but I assume it would be good. But I've also found this one on Esquire Magazine: David Brown's Bitter Peach:

• 1 oz Gran Classico Bitter
• 1 oz lemon juice
• 1 oz peach syrup
• 1 small egg white
• Dash Peychaud's Bitters
Combine ingredients, except for Peychaud's Bitters, with ice and shake vigorously. Strain into a chilled cocktail coupe. Top with Peychaud's Bitters.

Results will be forthcoming.

3 comments:

  1. Ah Georgia peaches - I've yet to try one, for I have not visited in summer. Funny you should post a cocktail out of your local treasure, for I found this cocktail this morning as I was looking for refreshing summer drinks, right before checking out your latest post:

    http://www.drinkoftheweek.com/drink_recipes/raspberry-sparkler/

    I want to make this, but options are limited in this village on alcohol. I don't think they have Campari at the local liquor store! And we are moving shortly so I will have to do this one later.

    You'll have to save some of that syrup and make me a peach cocktail the next time I'm in town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find campari. The reposada tequila on the other hand, that might be more difficult in such northern environs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me. You don't know the village I live in. :) I can't even find canned peppers here...

    ReplyDelete