Sunday, April 22, 2012

Half-assing an herb garden

The back "herb pots in the ground"

Apple mint, miniature roses in the background

pineapple sage and oregano
Chives, flowering, and Basil
So my herbs are scattered now. Thyme and parsley and cilantro in the front, all transplanted to a makeshift row bordering my gravel walk. Chives, flowering purple, in Maia's plot. Basil too, actually. And in the back, a row of "herbs pots in the ground": sage, thyme, apple mint, oregano, pineapple sage. Spearmint is in the brown pot, another mint (I can't recall which) in the white pot.

Behind the herbs I've planted a rosemary bush that is clearly alive, but not really growing. Next to it is a transplanted hydrangea tree which seems to be coming along nicely. Grown properly, I hope this tree will bring me some height to this plot. Between that and a rosemary bush, I'm hoping we can block out the garbage and recycling cans behind the herb plot.

The row of "herb pots" is most intriguing. The oregano never died, but has produced beautiful oregano all summer and winter. The pineapple sage flowers red and majestic in the late Fall, then recedes before poking out in the Spring. The thyme never really produced last year, but is back with a vengeance this year. Same with the sage.

I want ultimately to raise the bed with the herbs, enrich the soil, and put good landscape lighting in front of them. I have no name for my backyard herb plots, but they have worked out quite well thus far. Much better than my front yard herbs, which are scattered amongst other plants and weeds.

If everything is an experiment in my garden, then the backyard has turned quite pleasant with the regrowth of my herbs from last year. It is not quite a success, but not a failure either. More of a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment