Monday, May 21, 2012

new garden planting


How ya like me now
In an effort to spruce up the dead space around the mailbox, I have planted an assortment of purple sage, Cuphea (Mexican Heather), French Thyme, and Fluted Coreoposos "Jethro Tull". Vinca Major is still growing from transplants, and I've tried a couple of golden pineapple sage cuttings, which don't really seem to be taking root.

The Fluted Coreoposos "Jethro Tull" is by far the most interesting planting so far. A carefree and everblooming new introduction. Compact habit. Bright yellow blooms with unique fluted petals. Spent blooms should be removed to encourage continuous flowering. It sits at one foot right now and will grow another foot before it is all over.

The fluted petals are pretty cool
I have begun laying down my own compost mix in with my flowerbeds. The compost has quite a bit of pine straw in it, so it makes for a good mulch. My hope is that the watering draws down the nutrients into the soil (trickle down gardening?) and the pine straw serves as a weed barrier. It is definitely "dirty mulch," but it could always be covered should one want to go that route.

I also planted BW Pink Begonias along with Coleus "Training Red" in the front planters and Ivy Geranium (Burgundy) and Kuai Rose wishbone flowers in the back planters. Finally, some color...

The Bee Balm finally blooms

No comments:

Post a Comment