Monday, May 28, 2012

Transplanting Mortgage Lifters, Juane Flamee, and Golden Pineapple Sage

The cutting
Three different transplantation experiments, one conducted last week, two conducted today. The ones today are more delicate. I took a cutting from my mortgage lifter tomato plant, trimmed it to six inches and two leaves, then buried it in thoroughly soaked potting soil. I took a second cutting from my Juane Flamee plant and put it directly into the soil. The soil is particularly black and rich, but I supplemented it with potting soil and made sure it was thoroughly soaked.

Last week I transplanted two golden pineapple sage cuttings from the back to the front. Although the leaves withered in the sun every afternoon (only to be reborn miraculously the next day), both transplants appear to be thriving. Golden Pineapple Sage is indeed a weed.


the planting

in a pot
Veni Vidi Vici

The Juane Flamee plant is thriving and looks healthy. The Mortgage Lifter appears more sickly, and has been the slowest of all my plants to grow. The lower branches often wither and die, although the top of the plant does look good. It is possible (hopefully not too probable) that the plant has in fact contracted some kind of fungal disease. Or it is just a long, slow grower. I'll find a place for the transplant, should it take.

No comments:

Post a Comment