Saturday, April 6, 2013

Ghost of BBQ Past Sauce, Proprietary Blend #24613

So I've made my own sauce. Again. Given that it's the second one, I have big hopes. I actually I have no hopes whatsoever. The last sauce I made did quite well, but only after it had sat for some time. Like all good sauces, the flavors have to meld.

I decided to run the same recipe I did last time. I started with 1 cup of white vinegar, added 2 tsp of coarsely ground black pepper, 2 tbsp of light brown sugar, 2 tsp of crushed red pepper, 1/2 tsp of ghost pepper sauce, 1 tsp of hot sauce, a few dashes of worcestershire sauce, 2 TBSP of tomato paste and let it simmer on the stove. The first taste was all vinegar, so I added some brown sugar and 2 more tbsp of tomato paste. And I grated in about a tbsp of white onion. Then I let that cook down a little, and added some salt. Just a few pinches until I felt like the flavors were melding.

The product is a thick red tomato based sauce, not at all like my Carolina Style Proprietary blend that I made up last time. The difference here is that I doubled the tomato paste and cooked it down more.

The sauce is still hot and the heat lingers. It needs aging. The last sauce lasted more than nine months, so we'll see how long this can make it. I'll call it The Ghost Sauce, Proprietary Blend #24613. Numbering system remains intact, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment