Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Black Krim and the Morado

I am a fan of the black tomato. The prize of my 2012 garden were my two cherokee purple plants. The yield was moderate to large, and the fruit was dark and succulent. My predilection for strong flavors probably pushes me in the direction of dark tomatoes, and as such the cherokee purple was a wonderful introduction.

This year I have planted two varieties of black tomatoes, both heirlooms from the east.

The Black Krim comes from the Isle of Krim on the Crimean peninsula. The dark red mahogany beefsteak tomato should bring big yields and a slightly salty taste.

The Morado tomato is quite similar, but the seed is Spanish in origin. The climate conditions of its initial growth seem to favor Atlanta, as it likes both heat and elevation. I'm hoping it will be a big producer in the years to come.

The advantage this year is that I can compare the fruit of these two black tomatoes to see if there is any substantial (or subtle!) difference. And i am continuing my pattern of planting two black tomato plants a year. Sadly missing this year are yellow and orange varietals, but alas! I went light on reds last year,  We'll see how the Whopper and Rose tomatoes turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment