Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Tonic Water #3

Some major changes on this one. The most important is that I am soaking the cinchona bark chips without pulverizing them. In order to get more from them, I am steeping the chips longer in hot water before transferring the mixture to the fridge.
cinchona in the raw


Here is the recipe I used.

20 caradamom pods
1 tsp coriander
1 grapefruit peel
2 lemon peels
1 lime peel
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup cinchona bark
1/4 cup citric acid

I brought the mixture to a boil, covered it, then simmered it for forty minutes. Then I let it sit for a good three hours before transferring it to the fridge. I am going to let it steep for two days before transferring it to another vessel and then let it sit two more days before filtering it out.

Then I'll decide how to sweeten it. I am leaning towards agave syrup. It produces the cleanest tonic I've yet made.

No comments:

Post a Comment