Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chili Colorado, Double Recipe

Making chili for the parents, who are both in town tonight.

Design notes: Rick Bayless says that the recipe is a half hour hands on. That cannot be true. I sliced and seeded the chilies on Sunday, cubed the chuck roast on Tuesday, and this was still a good hour or two hands on, especially when one considers the massive clean up. The process, however, was very smooth. First I roasted the chilies, while the kettle was heating. By the time the chilies were done, the kettle was whistling. Covered the chilies and submerged with a plate. Chopped an onion and garlic, added the cumin and oregano to the blender. Took the meat out of the fridge and prepared the dutch oven. Added chilies (we are now at the half hour mark). Added reserve chili water. Blended. Put medium-high heat on the dutch oven. Added meat. Began straining chili puree over a bowl. Alternately pressed chilies while turning meat over and over to brown all pieces. This took about ten minutes--like Bayless wants, although my doubling of the recipe makes this a sloppy adaptation. Added chili, kept heat high for another five minutes. Kept scraping bottom. Made flour roux (2 tbsp for 4 cups of water). Added roux. Brought the mixture to a boil, partially covered. Dropped heat to medium. Started cleaning. Lots of cleaning.

3:45: chili simmering nicely.

Doubling the recipe was quite straightforward, with one exception--more difficult to press the chili puree. It left me paranoid, as usual, that I didn't have enough chili in my chili. It is simmering at present. Gives me time to brood.

Chili ratio: 8 anchos and 8 california chilies. They were large, so I didn't opt for more. Frying them did a number on my throat, I have discovered. Almost feel like wearing a mask when working with them.

4:45: Taste Test: Brilliant, but the chuck is still a tad chewy and the sauce a tad watery. Another hour will likely do it. If the sauce gets too thick, I will cover completely in the dutch oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment