Sunday, April 3, 2011

Pulled Pork

I was tempted to title this post "smoking butt" so the adult had to overrule the teenager in me. I rarely purchase the boston butt, preferring instead to get the whole hog shoulder. When the shoulder is split in half, one gets the butt and the picnic. Most butts are supposed to be 8 pounds, but the one I have is 3.5, suggesting that the Farmer's market is dividing the butts in two.

I've been looking up recipes, so might as well catalog them here. Good instructions on smoking are helpful, although the big green egg instructions are what I have followed in the past. A collection of rub recipes live here.

For the rub, I'm modifying a recipe I found online.

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup paprika
  • 3 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons cracked peppercorns
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
The cinnamon is my addition. I've yet to find it in a bbq rub, so it is likely a mistake. It's eastern origins do not make it a likely addition either--I am hardly going native. But it imparts such a distinctive flavor, and in this rub it should sit in conjunction with the heat and the sugar to impart more nose than flavor. We shall see...

I rubbed the butt and wrapped it in plastic and put it in the fridge for two hours. I prepared the grill for indirect cooking, started the coals, and added mesquite wood chunks. (On a side note, I have recently read that mesquite imparts too strong a flavor for smoking meats, so I should probably invest in some hickory.) I put the meat directly on over a drip pan with some water only--I am trying to control all taste variables to see what the rub produces, so no apple juice or beer in the pan.

3.6 pounds, so the butt could be ready in 5 1/2 hours. I'm cooking on the low end of the temperature spectrum, so I'm guessing it will take 6 1/2 hours.

10:45--pork went on. Temperature 100.
11:00--Temperature reached 210.
11:05--Temperature holding at 210.
11:10--Temperature up to 220. Closed dampers a hair more.
1:53--Temperature down to 180. Opened dampers a hair more.
2:15--Temperature holding at 220. Closed dampers a bit.
3:15--Temperature holding at 220.
4:15--Temperature holding at 220. Internal Temperature: 175!!

Pulled it off shortly after 5.

The result was good, but not tender enough. It needed likely one more hour. The next time, I want to try double wrapping it in foil for the last several hours. I have been reluctant to do so, but really do think the result will be superior.

The rub was a hit. And there is much rejoicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment