Tuesday, July 19, 2011

board night oemlettes redux

My omelette-making technique has improved, making this a great standby meal all year. To reiterate, the best pan is one that is hot but not overly so, one where one tablespoon of butter can melt and just begin to bubble and turn golden before you add two lightly beaten eggs. (It doesn't hurt here that we now get fresh eggs from our neighbors. Fresh eggs give a better color and richer flavor than store-bought.) I've taken to using a rubber spatula to hold up the cooked portion while distributing the eggs about the pan. Otherwise, I use a lot of jerking motions to cook the eggs. Once it is virtually cooked through, but a hair runny on top, I flip the mixture. This is the only part of my technique that really needs work. It works about seventy percent of the time, and I'm missing the wrist action that makes this an easy task. Once flipped, I turn the heat off, add the filling, then ease it out of the pan.

Tonight we added one ingredient to the smoked salmon and cream cheese: chopped fresh anaheim peppers, with seeds and membrane removed. The one thing this omelette was always missing was some texture differentiation. This fills it nicely, and adds just a touch of heat to it.

Also, I always top my omelettes with a sprinkle of chopped italian parsley, which is great for both appearance and adding a little herbal flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment