Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Summer of the Mojito

Just read this blog post on mojitos on Jeffrey Morgenthaler's blog, with a list of dos and donts for those of us who treasure the mojito. Some of the rules seem reasonable, others raise queries. For instance, crushed ice is a must, and I learned this the hard way this last weekend when I used the big cubes in my glass. Will always crush ice from now on. Likewise, the silver rum is a must if mixing with a refined sugar simple syrup. But what of a turbando based alternative? It produces a thicker, richer syrup, and my guess is that it would overpower dark rums. And please, some explanation for why limes ought not to be muddled with the mint and syrup. Does it offend the herbs? Bruise the oils? Some explanation other than "strictly amateur" would be helpful. The gentle muddle seems good advice. My aggressive style of muddling breaks up the limes too much.

It is about time to try a golden pineapple sage turbinado syrup. Mojitos can take one more ingredient, and golden pineapple sage seems a natural fit. Both grassy and sweet, imparting nose and flavor that works well with mint. We will see how it fares. My goal is to have a syrup I can use for whiskey drinks in the Fall as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment