Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Wise Fool




So-called for its mixture of sage and gin, which I think speaks for itself. With the wife and child gone for a few days, I had to try my hand at inventing a cocktail, and I had to make use of the copious amounts of fresh sage growing in the garden. Since sage and gin are a natural fit, and I've been craving a martini forever, this seems a good mix. Here is the recipe I will try:




  • 10 medium sage leaves
  • quarter lemon wedge
  • 1 tsp. turbinado sugar
  • 4 ounces gin
  • 3 ounces fresh grapefruit juice

  • Muddle the sage, lemon, and sugar in a shaker. add gin and grapefruit juice. shake.

    It helps to run the final product through a strainer, unless you want bits of sage floating about in the drink.

    Garnish with a sage leaf, rubbed or broken to release fragrant oils.

    This drink has promise. My first attempt had 3 oz. gin to 3 oz. grapefruit and quarter lemon wedge, but I thought it is too heavy on the citrus. Second had the ratio above, and it was a cleaner drink, and the Ethereal gin I used came through.

    I used ruby grapefruits in this (what I had on hand), and they were very tart. The drink does not need to be any sweeter, in fact the citrus is a nice bite. But the sage must come through more.

    Future concoctions might include a sage syrup rather than muddled fresh sage. Or perhaps a naked sage and gin martini cocktail with a good, dry vermouth.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment